Serves: 4 Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 45 minutes
This simple recipe is nothing more than a vegetable tian with ground hamburger. Summer simple.
3 tomatoes, thin sliced
1 onion, quartered and thin sliced
1 large zucchini thin sliced, or 2 medium
2 clove garlic, crushed
1 jalapeno, thin sliced, optional
1 pound hamburger
1.5 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted, cut down into smaller pieces. I prefer Kerrygold
Primal Palate Garlic and Herb seasoning
Nutritional yeast, optional
- Thin slice the zucchini, lay out on clean dry dish towel and generously salt. This will help sweat out some of the moisture in the zucchini. While preparing the rest of the meal, periodically pat away the “sweat” with another clean towel. (This will help prevent the zucchini from leaching out too much moisture and diluting the flavor of the rest of the dish).
- Add the crushed garlic and ½ teaspoon of Primal Palate Garlic and Herb seasoning when hamburger is mostly browned. Fry hamburger until all the grease has be evaporated or reabsorbed.
- To assemble- make a single layer of zucchini on bottom of a baking dish, then continue with single layers of onion, tomatoes, hamburger, and the optional jalapeno.
- Place the small pieces of butter throughout the top of the layers and sprinkle the seasoning as desired. Adding nutritional yeast adds a bit more dynamic flavor, however it is optional.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove foil and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
I tried different types of casserole dishes. A 9×13 dish works great; also did 2 smaller dishes and had similar results with cooking times.